A friend of mine lent me a fantastic
african instrument: a Balafon. I took the
opportunity to sample it and make a soundfont to be
used in GNU/Linux with qsynth.
To record it I used my trusty yamaha
pockettrack 2G (best buy of 2011), I then cropped
the single notes with mhwaveedit and put toghether
the soundfont with swami.
The instrument itself is gorgeous,
too bad I have to gave him back soon… I only sampled
one layer for each note, basically there are three
octaves of a C scale from G2 to F5 (I don’t know for
shure those are the actual pitches, maybe I missed
an octave in positioning notes).
The SoundFont is a free download