What is tonespace?
- It’s a different, more intuitive music
keyboard, combined with a chorder.
- It supports over 50 different grids, 14
scales, 18 keys, 30+ chord types and 25 chord
- It can function as a VST or Audio Unit
plugin, processing incoming MIDI events and/or
generating outgoing MIDI.
- You don’t need to use MIDI though: there is
also a standalone executable which contains its
own little synth for a fast start.
What can you do with it?
- Audition and play chords while you move the
mouse around in a grid-like space, or while
using a traditional keyboard.
- Learn how musical scales and keys work, and
how chords relate to these, using the simple
- Discover how chords map onto surprisingly
simple geometric shapes in the more advanced
- Use chord-generation algorithms to fit
chords to scales and keys automatically.
- Trigger chords from monophonic MIDI input
and record the played chords using MIDI output.
notes since Build 2.0.294 (beta)
Build 2.0.361 (release):
- Fixed: updated manual with information on
features added since public beta 2.0.294.
- New: added pdf manual version.
Build 2.0.354 (beta):
- Fixed: mode ‘MIDI triggers note (modulated)’
transposed some notes an octave too low.
- Fixed: some slight factory preset tweaks.
- New: added ‘Monads’ chord filter option,
making it possible to use the chord fitting
assist modes also with single notes.
Build 2.0.353 (beta):
- Fixed: slow startup of the tonespace UI on
OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard.
- Fixed: Logic revalidating tonespace AU
component every time during start up.
- Fixed: ‘none’ chord displayed in balzano
- Fixed: note was not released when mouse up
on disabled cell.
- Fixed: hold notes until next click did not
work as users expected.
- Fixed: crash in Ableton Live on Windows when
closing VST gui while tonespace help/about
dialog still visible.
- New: ‘trigger’ parameter replaces the ‘on
MIDI’ parameter and controls when and how cells
are triggered (either by mouse and/or by
incoming MIDI notes).
- New: MIDI triggering offers several
variants, including triggering on mouse
clicking, mouse hovering or by incoming MIDI
note as in tonespace 1.0.
- New: triggering by MIDI notes can optionally
transpose/modulate incoming MIDI notes from
CMajor into the selected scale/key (allows to
play ‘white keys only’ and still generate chords
that are in key).
- New: ‘on click’ parameter replaces the
‘mouse’ parameter and controls whether chords
are released on mouse-up or held until next
- New: ‘assist’ parameter offers new chord
assist modes, including a mode for fitting
chords to a scale/key instead of to the space.
- New: with chord fitting to scale/key: when
more than one chord is possible you can either
take the best one, cycle through all, or pick a
random one for an arpeggio-like effect.
- New: ‘chord filter’ parameter allows to
restrict the types of chords that are used by
chord assist algorithms. Select between 2, 3 and
4 note-chords. This also reduces the number of
chord assist parameter modes, as they longer
have to select the chord size.
- New: ‘voicing’ parameter has been extended
with new inversion types and open/close modes.
The old open/open+/open++ modes are now called
- New: the currently hovered and/or clicked
root cell is now also highlighted, so you always
know where you are in the grid, even when using
chord voicings with a different root note.
- New: last played and estimated next chord
names are displayed.
tonespace is free.